8.31.2010

Food Budgeting Rule #1: The Pantry List

Eating on $10 day isn't impossible--but requires a little planning. When going about how to start this project, I decided that during the first week I should try to make Pantry dishes. aka using up as many items I already have in my pantry. It's a good way to save money initially (by not spending) and it also helps me do a 'spring cleaning' of sorts for items that have been sitting on my shelf for too long.

Canned Items:
Garbanzo Beans (hummus?), Spicy Corn Relish, Salsa, Vodka Sauce, Peanut Butter, No-Salt Tomato Sauce, Pesto Sauce, Jam, Mint Jelly, Aji de Amarillo Paste, Tahini, Dijon Mustard, Wasabi, Pickled Ginger

Starches/Carbs
Shell Pasta, 6 packets, fancy pasta, Mediterranean Curry Couscous, Basmanti Rice, Sushi Rice, Whole Wheat Bread loaf, Hamburger buns-4, Pita Bites, Stacy's Pita Chips, Potato Chips, popcorn

Dairy
Tapioca, Yogurt, Sliced cheese (cheddar, pepper jack), Parmesan Cheese, Half & Half, Butter

Protein
Pepparoni, Kashi Granola Bar, Pine Nuts, Frozen tofu squares

Fruits/Vegetables
Onions, Plums, Dried Seaweed (for sushi), Frozen Eggplant/Zucchini slices, Frozen Okra

Desserts
Lemon Chalet Cream cookies, Smore Ice cream, Graham Crackers, Marshmallows, Chocolate Bars

Frozen Meals:
Spanikopita

Pantry Staples:
Whole Wheat and All-Purpose Flour, Corn meal, Sugar, Brown Sugar, Powdered Sugar, Balsamic Vinegar, White wine Vinegar, Lemon Juice, Worcestershire Sauce, Miren, Sesame Oil, Soy Sauce

It may seem like a whole lot of nothing, but I'm hoping I can use this list to plan a few meals around this stuff. A few ideas have already come to mind: an eggplant pasta? Hummus? Veggie Sushi for lunch one week? We shall see. Do you see any ideas from this list I need to jump on? Let me know..

1 comment:

  1. falafel! you already have the garbanzo beans and tahini, and yogurt for the sauce!

    ReplyDelete