7.12.2010

Shrimp and Mushrooms in Cream Sauce

Hello again!

So in preparation for running a half-marathon, I've decided it's generally time to get into shape. Which means eating better. Which means the so-creamy-and-rich-it-could-melt-in-your-mouth-and-then-envelop-your-entire-essence-of-being Pasta dish I'm making tonight will be the last of the good times:


This is my all-time favorite dish, my grandmother use to make it for me and I had to figure out the recipe years later, one attempt at a time, until I matched my flavors to my memory. I must go back and try some more.


Shrimp and Mushroom in Cream Sauce
  1. Bring a pot of water to boil, and throw in a container of egg noodles. (This will serve 6 easily, but you can cut it down if you don't need that much)
  2. Saute 2 cloves garlic,  1 medium white onions, and 1 c. mushrooms (I used hen of the woods, on a whim, but normally use crimini) in olive oil, in that order over a medium-high heat. 
  3. Once all three are cooked (the onions should be translucent, or nearly) add in the shrimp and turn the heat down to low. Cook 1 minute, turn the shrimp over and cook a second minute--each side should start to look pink, but still seem raw. 
  4. Cover and turn the heat off---the shrimp will cook the rest of the way while you make the roux. It's really important not to overcook the shrimp, this method ensures that when you serve the dish, the shrimp will still be juicy, soft, and delicious.
Roux Sauce:
2 cups half and half, warmed
3 T butter
3 T flour
1/3 c. fresh parsley, finely chopped
salt to taste

I used Martha Stewart's recipe for this one, but reduced the quantities. Once a skillet is heated, add the butter and once it's bubbly, slowly add in the flour. Stir constantly with a whisk for 1-2 minutes. Reduce the heat slightly, and then slowly add in the half and half. You want to constantly stir on medium-low heat for about 8 minutes. You'll see the sauce slowly get thicker. Add in the parsley. Once the sauce is thick, add to the onion/mushroom/shrimp mixture. Once the pasta is done, combine and serve. Add minimal Parmesan, the sauce is so creamy, the cheese really isn't necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment